Dr Pieter Roelofse – A Physician with Compassion
I am a Specialist Physician/Internist in full-time private practice at Melomed Hospital Bellville. I believe in maintaining and restoring human health through the study, diagnosis and treatment of disease.
I have a holistic approach to my patients and believe that not only organic disease can cause physical symptoms, but also non-organic disease. For this reason, I focus on the physical & emotional symptoms that could be contributed to the presenting complaint.
I have been practicing in Bellville (25 km outside Cape Town) since 1 June 2008, opening my Practice at the old Jan S. Marais Hospital, before moving into the new Melomed Bellville private hospital, when it opened in August 2009.
After qualifying as a Specialist Physician in 2008, I broadened my expertise and knowledge to include a Diploma in Pain and Sedation, ICU Echocardiography, and a Bronchoscopy Course at the prestigious Royal Brompton College in London. I also hold a Master’s Degree in Psychology.
To stay ahead of current trends and advances in the medical field, I regularly attend International Congresses. I have a keen interest in modern technology and employ all the latest technology for diagnostic and treatment purposes.
As a 14 year old boy, I was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS), an auto-immune disease that attacks the nerves of the body.
During this period, I was completely paralysed (within 24 hours of diagnosis) and dependant on a ventilator for 2 months. My rehabilitation took 2 years, and left me with a permanent disability
In spite of this, I am a firm believer in the idea of rising above your circumstances and this life-changing event has shaped my future, to become a compassionate Physician. The wellbeing of my patients is of utmost importance to me.
I do not compromise on the quality of care of my patients. I use my experience with GBS, to put my patients at ease with a good sense of humour, comprehension, consideration, compassion, and respect for my patients and their families.
- Fellowship of the College of Physicians (South Africa) 2008
- Diploma in Pain and Sedation (University of Western Cape) 2004
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (Stellenbosch) 2001
- Masters in Psychology (Stellenbosch) 1996
- Honours Degree in Counselling Psychology (Stellenbosch) 1992
- Bachelor of Arts (Stellenbosch) 1991
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- South Africa Society of Sedation Practitioners South Africa
- South Africa Medical Association (SAMA)
- South Africa Medical Protection Society (MPS)
- HIV Society of South Africa
- General Medical Council of the UK
- Faculty of Consulting Physicians of South Africa (FCPSA)